Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chicken & Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon-Poppyseed Dressing

Pin It
Hey y'all. Just a quick post to tell you about one of my favorite summer recipes. This will be great for any end of summer get togethers you might be having this holiday weekend. I love to eat it all summer and it comes in at a whopping 4 Weight Watchers Point+ Points, 5 if you add a tspn of toasted almonds to your serving. It's actually under 4 because that number is based on 1 tblspn of Oil and this will yield enough dressing for about 4 salads.

Every time I make this for get togethers, I bring home an empty salad bowl. :)

Chicken-Strawberry Spinach Salad with
Lemon-PoppySeed Dressing

Here's what you'll need-
Chicken Breasts (I cook 4)
Spinach (I used the pre-washed bag kind because it was just the easiest)
Fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 cups, but really I just get a large strawberry basket, and use most of them)
Cucumber- medium 1/2 -1


For the dressing-
1 Lemon
2 tspn White Vinegar
1 tblspn Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Poppy Seeds
Splenda to taste (I usually just add a few packets. I used to make this with sugar, but it's just as good if not better with the Splenda and it stays mixed up better and not as gritty)




This recipe is really so simple, you won't believe it!
Here's what you do-

Grill your chicken breasts. I used my Foreman because it was quick and easy.  While they're cooking, clean and slice your strawberries and your cucumber. I usually wash and spin my spinach even though it says it's pre-washed. I'm a little OCD about clean spinach.

Then mix your dressing-
Roll your lemon around on your counter to soften it up. If it's not particularly soft you can nuke it for 10-15 seconds and it'll juice up for you like crazy. Grate your lemon gently so you have peel and not pith (no-one wants a bitter dressing). Cut your lemon in half and juice it. I used Pampered Chefs Mix and Pour dressing container because I used to be a consultant and I love how it keeps dressings fresh and mixed. To the Lemon Juice add your Vinegar, Oil, and Poppy Seeds. Mix well and then add Splenda to mixture until you have reached your desired sweetness. I put a lot in the picture but I really only used a few.


Once your Chicken has finished cooking, Cube it into bite -sized pieces. Put your Spinach, Chicken, Strawberries and Cucumbers in a large bowl and toss gently until mixed well. Place onto individual plates. Mix your dressing and pour onto the individual portions. Top with Slivered Almonds if desired.

Next is the best part...Enjoy! This is a fresh, bright, tasting salad that gives you protein/meat, fruit, and vegetables all in one serving. You could even add some cheese like a Blue Cheese or Gorgonzola and get a little dairy in as well. Just know that will increase your Points Values.

I hope you give this salad a try. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! If you try it I hope you'll let me know what you thought. If you'd like to +1 or Pin this recipe I've put the buttons here on my blog for your convenience. Followers are always welcome too!

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to stop by my little corner of the world. You are very appreciated! Till next time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Take Care,
Shan

*Recipe adapted from Pampered Chef.*





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment